This poetry picture book is written by Carol Diggory Shields and is illustrated by Paul Meisel. This book of fun school poems was a blast to read! There are poems about the first days of school, the science fair, what happens when the school is locked up at night, late excuses, detention, etc. The poems all rhyme and stick in your head. They're fun and relatable for school aged children. My favorite poem is: They're Calling Me that Name Again
They're calling me that name again -
It's driving me insane -
In voices shrill, like little drills.
Attacking my poor brain.
In classroom, playground, hall and gym,
From swing and slide and bleacher.
I hear it everywhere I go -
"Teacher! Teacher! Teacher!"
I think this poem is great because I know that students do this all the time. They are constantly asking their teacher questions over and over again, which can give a teacher a headache! This would be the perfect poem to hang up in the room so students know to raise their hands and not call out repeatedly. Many of these poems would be great hung up in the classroom - they're fun, creative and relatable.
The illustration are fun to look at. Sometimes the words are incorporated quite creatively with the illustrations. There's always something different to look at while reading each poem. The illustrations are detailed and they are diverse - kids from all different backgrounds are represented in each picture.

No comments:
Post a Comment